Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm going to Zinder!

After over a month of anticipation, Peace Corps officials have finally revealed to us the villages in which we will be living for the next two years! I haven’t been there yet, so I don’t know too much about my particular village. But I do know that of the 5 regions in Niger with volunteers currently serving, my village is in the region that is the farthest east. Consequently, it’s the farthest away from the Peace Corps headquarters in Niamey (which is in the west, in case you didn’t figure that out.) I’ll be living in a six room hut, which is unheard of for a Peace Corps volunteer, within a walled concession that is apparently big enough to plant a millet field. That’s a whole lot of room that I won’t know what to do with. My fellow Peace Corps Trainees (because we aren’t actually sworn in Volunteers yet) have decided that I have so many rooms because I single handedly represent Peace Corps Nigeria, seeing as I am only 4K away from Nigeria. (Important side note: Niger and Nigeria are not the same country.) This of course isn’t true, mainly because Peace Corps doesn’t have any volunteers in Nigeria and we aren’t even allowed to travel there due to political unrest. My proximity to Nigeria doesn’t hinder my safety in country, but does provide for fun jokes. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to let you know more about what my village is really like. Until then…MY MAILING ADRESS WILL CHANGE REALLY SOON! I don’t know what will be yet, but if you were planning on sending a package don’t yet, because you should send it to Zinder. If not, I’ll get it later than planned. Letters should be fine for a while though, so feel free to write and send pictures and anything fun you think I may enjoy! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, I miss you all and wish you the best. And although I’m awful at remembering to take pictures, my friend Marissa is great at it, so check out www.flickr.com/photos/mwong64.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! You would get the furthest one away...awesome! I'm excited for you though!

Good thing you mentioned that your address is changing, cause I was about to send out another letter.

Unknown said...

Read through the whole blog thus far. I can't believe what a BA you are Kelsey B. I hope you know how much I miss you, and I'm praying for your safety and well-being.

Learn, love, and...

...love. For the rest of us, so we can live vicariously! I miss you so much my dear, be safe. <3

- Sam KINSMAN

Anonymous said...

Kelsey! i love love love hearing about all of this! I'm so excited for you and wish I was with you there! Steal a baby boy for me when you come home!

Gma K said...

Hi Little Girl--
You are at the end of the world out there. I must get into the new century and use the web.
Seems to me I tried years ago to get you to use your right hand. Now don't you wish you had done that?
Love and prayers always.

Gma K said...

Hi Little Girl-
You are at the end of the world out there. I must really get into the 21st century and figure out more of the web.
Seems to me I tried to get you to use your right hand years ago. Now don't you wish you had done it?
Love and prayers always.

sueb said...

Hi honey! You are so amazing - we love your stories - keep journaling too! How about a cat for a pet in your new village - good mouse control....... can't wait to hear more - we miss you like crazy - you are so loved, now by people all over the world too. We'll keep writing the Niamey address until the 1st. Stay safe, healthy and happy. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on all of your craziness in Africa, and its good to see that living in a mud hut hasn't changed my secret crush! I wish you all the best over there, God has great things planned for you! You're in my prayers-Erika Haas

ben oni said...

kelsey!! i'm back in chico and i miss you dearly! can you stop all this funny africa business and get back here already. enough is enough... i mean, seriously, you're not really in africa. stop messing around and just jump out from behind a bush or a tree or whatever and make your big surprise already. i've only got a few more days left in town and then we won't be able to hang out at all...
so, seriously, make it quick. i'll see ya soon buddy!!

i miss you kelsey, and i hope that you're have fun out there. be safe. don't talk to strangers. or men in public places. don't do anything i wouldn't do...well, you can STAY in africa if you WANT to, i just wouldn't. that's just ME.

anyways...i miss you miss you miss you miss you miss you miss you miss you miss you miss you... a little bit. just a little. BYE!!
BTW: got your letter. thank you and i'm sending you a package as you soon as you get settled in your village!!!