Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hey- I'm here!

Well I made it here to Niger, and I only have about 10 minutes left online so I have to be really quick about writing this- it's going to be sporatic- stay with me friends.
First of all, I live in a mud hut, just like you would picture a mud hut. There is no electricity or plumbing of any kind, and it's really not as intense as it sounds. It is, however, very small. And it has a thatch roof. I live in the consession of a family. It's a wonderful family, and they are all very patient with me and my cultural faux pas. There are baby everythings around me all the time- humans, goats, sheep, dogs, chickens, and so on. They wake me up nice and early because I sleep outside under the most beautiful sky I've ever seen and a mesquito net.
The culture is a tad different than America. It's an almost entirely Muslim country, guided by tradition rather than study of the Koran because most people aren't educated enough to know how to read the Koran. Polygomy is very apparent, which I'm still trying to get used to. The biggest culture shock has been the transition into the gender roles here. The men do the work, control the financial affairs and all decisions of the family, and drink a lot of tea. The women are super moms. They carry their babies on their backs with pieces of cloth all day while cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the rest of the family. Men and women don't socialize in public at all, they never touch, not even a handshake. I think the biggest challenge when I get to post (I'm in training right now, by the way) will be to integrate into these new gender roles.
Another challenge is bugs. I know, it sounds silly, but they are invinsible here. They dont die! And they are everywhere- it's crazy! But on the upside, I'm winning the war on bugs in my hut.
They're going down...
The training I'm going through right now is 9 weeks and then I get send out into the bush somewhere. It's very intense and very hard. There's no internet acess, so sorry if you feel like I'm ignoring you, I'm really not. I'm learning Hausa, which is a verbal language, and therefore hard to learn visually. But we have some of the greatest language teachers in the world, and I'm learning quicker than I thought I could.
I love the people I'm here with, we're all bonding very quickly simply because we're so out of our element. We all do stupid things (like the time I accidentally told my teacher he was too old to dance rather than too scared to dance...oops!) and luckily the Nigeriens are wonderful people who laugh at us when we don't quite get it right. We also get a kick out of how quickly we've conformed to the dress code (no shoulders, tight fitting clothing, or anything above the knee.) Any flash of knee is scandalous at this point. It's quite funny.
It's crazy how much I miss Mexican food, air conditioning (it bloody hot here!) and easy and fast communication. And of course I miss my friends and family, so write me letters and send pictures! Or anything cultural (like news clippings or concert programs- yea we're that sad) because I feel so very far removed. But overall- I love it here! It's wonderful. I wish I could say hi to everyone personally, but I don't have time to get on facebook, and I'm not magic, so I can't. But know that I love you, please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for reading, I MISS YOU!

15 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow, it sounds like you are having the experience of a lifetime. I applaud you, Kelsey, because you have more guts than I do. There's no way I would be sleeping out under the stars and a mosquito net! And I would probably get my hand cut off or something because I would force my way into the men's work. But I'm so proud of you and I know that God is using this experience to make you rely on Him. Thanks for the update, and hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Finally! You're really alive! haha. I've been crying every single day because you haven't communicated with me personally. So feel very very horrible about yourself. Just kidding...I know you know that, but other's might not. But hey, I suppose I still love you and I'm glad you're doing well. Kill all those bugs, every single one, in the entire country. Good luck with that "not being scandalous" thing. I know that'll be extremely hard for you, and especially not talking to any men. ;o)

In all seriousness though, glad to hear you're doing well. Be expecting a letter from me, and possibly some gifts that I know you'll enjoy. :o)

When you're in Niger, and I'm in Azusa....i miss you. No but really, this time it's true. Love you lots and I'm praying for you everyday. And when I get sad about you not being here, I go hide under my covers and moan and whimper. Wow...this is long. K bye!!!

Elena B. said...

hey sweetie! so exciting to hear about your adventures! i'm praying for you. i love to learn about new cultures, so you expect that i'll be stalking your every move MUAHAHAHA! missing you at APU though. take care and don't get eaten alive!

NIGER1.COM said...

Hello i run the website www.niger1.com
how come i did not know about you i spoke with peace corps but not you
My email is niger1.com@gmail.com
ask other peace corps they know about the website

Letitia said...

Way to go Kelsey! Bugs, culture change, language, mud huts...wow! But, what an experience. When you said you wanted to go to the Peace Corp, I should have not been so surprised, you are that girl somewhat out of the box, who knows herself and is confident in what she believes and who she wants to be.

How far are you from Nigeria? I can't believe you made it to Africa before I did, seeing that my husband is Nigerian and all. Well, take care and you are in my prayers. Don't forget to sing and share your gifts of music with your new family. God has a great plan for your life, keep seeking first the kingdom of God and all His righteousness...

Gma K said...

HI Kelsey--
This is my third attempt so be patient with me while I learn this process. It was so good to hear from you in Niger. You are such an adventrurous young person. I love you to pieces and pray for you every day that you keep your enthusiasm for God's work in you.
Love, Gma K

hayles said...

Kelsey! So i started crying while I was reading your blog. You are the bomb! I can't even believe all the things I'm reading ... I read your blog out loud at the dinner table to the family. We are all inspired by your faith and courage. Me and mallory have been hanging out ... clinging to what remains of the gang. Lindsay's wedding was beautiful and fun. I wore the earrings you let me borrow for the next two years in the wedding. That way you were kinda there. I told your mom that ... I think she cried! Its good to hear your positive attitude and your good feelings about what is to come. I love you.
I forgot to mention, before you left what kind of foreshadowing our childhood games may have had ... remember your interview character from africa??? Americopepe!

your friend and neighbor,
Hailey

sueb said...

Hi honey - I love reading your stories - it helps us picture you in Niger. We love you so much and pray as we go to sleep to bless you as you are just beginning a new day. You are so smart, resourceful and courageous that you will take on whatever challenge meets you. Remember to sing and take pictures! We love and miss you so. Mom and Dad

Jonelle Pena said...

Kelsey,
Way to live your dreams and the dreams God has for you! I'm hoping once you get settled in your village we could get the kids at our charter school to be pen pals with kids in your village. If there is any way we can support you and your work, please let us know. Love, Jonelle

Corinne said...

Gosh kels I hope you know how much your missed. I am so glad to hear about your life there. I pray for you all the time that God protects you and brings you home safely. We all miss you and talk about you all the time. Little inside jokes and your goodbye saying. lol I was so glad to get your letter too! I am writing you and telling you the craziness called life that has been happening here. You keep changing the world out there offering God's amazing love that you show everyone you meet. Keep smiling with your big dimples!(yes geoff they are there) and remember us and how much we love and miss you here.

Anonymous said...

Hi cousin! Love your entries so far! Thanks for keeping this, it's such a good idea!

Unknown said...

Hi Kelsey!
Skip and I were just reading your blog. Wow, what an experience! It takes a unique and special person to take on such a challenge. We think about you all the time and will keep checking in for updates. You will be in my prayers every day. Love always, Skip and Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelsey,

It was weird reading this blog and thinking "been there, done that" for some of your things, but man, you're like 200% more hardcore than a city-spoiled brat like I am, sleeping in mud huts and such.

I can relate to most of the cultural things about Niger maybe so much without male/female handshakes...we're more open with that kind of stuff, but everything else is similar, starting from polygomy and gender role switches...

It was bomb hearing you're enjoyiong your time in Niger. I'm heading back to the states in less than a week, but good luck to you!

Judy & Kelly said...

Hi Kelsey. Kelly & I were reading your blog. What an experience you are going through. You are a pretty tough person. I don't think I would like the bugs. Wanted to let you know we are thinking about you. Kelly just got back from cruising fro a month on a 40' boat up in British Columbia. He had more modern day conveniences than you have. Take care and keep up the good work. I think about you all the time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love ya, Judy

sueruttenburg said...

Hi Kelsey! I saw your Mom at Dr. Couk's and was asking her about your experiences, so she gave me your blogsite to read. You are AMAZING! So brave and adventurous! After this, nothing will seem too difficult! Ben's coming for two weeks to do the "Chico thing", but you were such a big part of his "Chico thing", I'm sure he'll be missing you....Take care of yourself, Kelsey, and know that folks back home are thinking about you. Love,
Sue & Phil